Sunday, July 10, 2016

Lessons from Self-Loathing

Something you need to know about me is that I struggle with what lots of people struggle with: self-concept.  For the most part, I understand that I can do a lot of things, maybe not the best, but I can manage.  But, I sometimes tip the scale into narcissism.  I just think that I am awesome sometimes.  However, my scale can also tilt in the direction of self-doubt.  For a brief period of my life, the scale has dipped lower in the self-doubt into self-loathing.

It was in this period of my life, that I came to understand the meaning of service and helping people.  When I help others, I am happy.  And, that was the answer to my problems. The End.  Wasn't that a good story?

That's really it.  I learned that I give my life meaning when I am helping others.  I am not the most social person, but I sign up for all kinds of things because I want to help.  Sometimes, I sign up for so much that I really don't have time to do my homework. (I know.  Bad Cami.)  I pass my classes.  That's what matters.  And, I help other peers in their classes.  Anyway, I surround myself with opportunities to give other people opportunities.  That's actually why I chose my major.  I want to be able to show other people that there is more to life.

I know tons of people who see themselves as worthless.  They are in the pit of self-loathing.  My cry to them: "Go do something for someone."  Put yourself out there.  You may not make many friends--I mean look at my small list of friends--but you will feel better about yourself.  You will be making a difference.  You will add to your self-perceived value.

Also, your worth is already great to God. (Doctrine and Covenants 18:10)  I know that God loves all of His children no matter what.  He wants you to feel that worth.  That's what helping others has done for me.

P.S. Sometimes helping out can mean wrangling rambunctious 6-year-olds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes 2023

  Joseph : What's your middle name? Griffin : Jon-niel. Josh : When in doubt, it's Joseph's pants. Coworker : Bandit farted, and...