Monday, August 19, 2013

Warning: Here Comes A Novel

Dear Family and Friends,

This week has gone by pretty quickly. Sister Shaum and I always feel that we don't know where time has gone. We get to Sunday evening and think, "Wow! It is already a new week. What did we do?"

ADAM and NATASHA
This week we didn't meet with a ton of people, but there are two people that we have met with a lot. Those two are Adam and Natasha. As we have been teaching them, they have changed so much.  We are still working on some stumbling blocks as we prepare Adam for baptism, but these two are completely different people than when we first met them.  I love these two.  They are great.  Natasha has read the Book of Mormon twice since we first met her.  Sister Shaum and Sister Klingler had already met with her once or twice before I came out to Wilmington, but she has read it twice in the few months that I have been out here.
Adam taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ to us this week.  It was a wonderful lesson.  We gave him the pamphlet before so he could use it to teach us.  He had many great questions that he asked us.  He has come a long way.  He loves the gospel.  He loves the Book of Mormon.  He has such a great testimony.

BURMESE PEOPLE
The Zone Leaders, or the Elders that are in the same ward as Sister Shaum and me, have been teaching a community of Burmese people.  Sister Shaum and I had the opportunity this week to go read the Book of Mormon with one girl and her family.  Her name is Mue.  Her mother knows no English, and her siblings and she know only a little bit of English.  They speak Corin.  It was rather fun to teach them, but it is difficult to get past just following Jesus.  We read the Book of Mormon, but we had to pause after each verse and summarize in very simple terms.  We started with the very first chapter.
As we were reading, we came to the part of the chapter where Lehi is having a vision.  He saw a pillar of fire on top of a stone.  I just sat there thinking, "How do we tell people that fire on a rock is God?"  I thought about how crazy some things in the Book of Mormon are.  How do we believe these things?  What have I been taught my whole life?  All I know is that the Book of Mormon brings the spirit into my life.  It has led me through rough times.  I know that as I continue to read the Book of Mormon, I will continue to feel the spirit.  Heavenly Father works in mysterious ways.  We will not be able to know all about God in this life.  It is only our job to trust Him and continue to endure to the end.

I love all y'all.  I hope you are doing well.  Continue to listen to the prophet.  It is almost General Conference.  It is almost Christmas.

Go with God,
Sister Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes 2023

  Joseph : What's your middle name? Griffin : Jon-niel. Josh : When in doubt, it's Joseph's pants. Coworker : Bandit farted, and...