Monday, June 25, 2018

My Favorite Type of Music is Christmas

In honor of halfway to Christmas, I wanted to share my love of Christmas music with everyone (with a hint of ranting).  My family listens to Christmas music whenever we feel like, whatever day of the year we see fit.  We don't wait for the Christmas "season." All year is our season.

This doesn't make us any less interested in the other holidays of the year.  Take the 4th of July for example.  I love the 4th of July.  I love my beautiful home of The United States of America.  I love that I have the freedom to live here and write my blog with whatever I want on it.  I have USA shirts, socks, and a hat.  I always put my hand to my heart and face the flag when the National Anthem is playing.  I love patriotic songs.  I listen for most of July.  (With a hint of Christmas music here and there.)

Take Thanksgiving for another example.  I play that music every now and then.  There are like three songs.  Maybe if there were more Thanksgiving songs, people wouldn't get so mad at me for playing Christmas songs.  I would totally play Thanksgiving songs.  I was going to write some, and then that didn't happen.

Anyway, back to people being mad at me for playing Christmas music.  Do you know how mad people get when they hear that I listen to Christmas music whenever I want?  So mad.  People get really defensive.  They have to tell me just how wrong it is that I do that.  They tell me I'm not allowed.  They tell me that I'm weird.  They go into their grand arguments about why I can't listen to Christmas music unless it is December.  People have told me, "It makes me too excited for Christmas."  This one is somewhat understandable.  I, too, get excited for Christmas.

But fun, jolly, present opening and Santa seems to be the only thing that people get out of Christmas music.  When I say that I listen to Christmas music all year, I definitely don't mean Jingle Bells, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and all those other weird songs.  I don't even really like those ones too much.  I'm talking about Jesus music.  I listen to Jesus music.  When I say Christmas music, I mean And the Angels Cried, Joy to the World, and others like Angels from the Realms of Glory.

People don't believe me that I like to listen to Jesus music.  Who are they to judge how much I love Jesus?  Yeah, I have been rude to say in reply, "Sorry you don't like Jesus."  That was rude of me to say.  I just get upset when people think they can judge my relationship with Jesus.  It's true that people who love Jesus will be better, nicer people.  And maybe I'm not the nicest, but I love Jesus.  And I'm working on it.

Jesus saved me.  And not just from my sins.  I have been in some really dark places in my life.  And I have thought so many times that my life is not one that is worth being on this earth.  I have been so alone so many times.  I haven't been able to trust people around me for years at a time.  I have felt abandoned and hated.  I have been mocked and bullied.  I have had to take on responsibilities that I was not ready for.  But Jesus saved me.  He told me I was worth living.  He told me that He would carry my burdens.  He told me that He is the Light.  He is the Way.  And He is one of many guardian angels.  Have you ever heard any words sweeter or more filled with hope than the hymn "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"?

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

Till, ringing, singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!

When people mock my joy of Christmas music, they mock the words that have given me strength.  I don't expect anyone to have the same love of Christmas music that my family and I have, but I just wish they would stop mocking.  I say it sometimes as a joke, so that other people don't have to make it a joke for me; it really is my favorite type of music.




Also in honor of halfway to Christmas, here are some awesome videos.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes 2023

  Joseph : What's your middle name? Griffin : Jon-niel. Josh : When in doubt, it's Joseph's pants. Coworker : Bandit farted, and...