Sunday, October 1, 2017

The Hugging Experiment

Have you ever had a stranger chew you out for not accepting a hug?  And they tried to give you scientific proof of why you are wrong to not give another person a hug?  'Cause for me it has happened a few times.  Have you had people think that you have had trauma as a child when you don't want people to touch you?  Maybe you were neglected and that's why you don't like hugs?  That's also happened a few times.

I decided that I am going to do an experiment.  For the next 15 days, I will accept hugs from people.  The following are the rules for the experiment:

  1. If a person asks for a hug, I will give them a hug
  2. Limit one hug per person per day
  3. I have to reciprocate (aka no limp fish like my normal)
  4. Unless you are being a creep, in which case, I will determine if it is necessary to punch you in the gut
  5. At the end of 15 days, I record my feelings about hugs and my experience
If at any point, I feel that the experiment requires more rules due to rule #4 or other such things, I will use my discretion to add to the rules.  Just so you know, I may cry inside a lot during the next 15 days.  I will never let you see though.  Do you trust me?

Unnecessary Backstory

If you want to hear my personal view of hugging, this is the spot of the blog to read.  I don't necessarily hate hugs.  Hugs, to me, have been an elevated form of consolation.  Hugs have been what are given when words just can't cut it anymore--when you need physical support in order to have emotional support.  It can be happy support or sad support.

It may surprise you that I sometimes want a hug.  I often don't ask because I feel that people will assume I will accept hugs all of the time.  I feel people will think this because I am not super open about my emotions, and people cannot often tell what I am feeling.  I usually want a hug when there are overwhelming emotions (that I probably am not showing on my face).

So, I am doing this experiment to see if it does affect my mood and to see if I maybe trust people more.  Doubtful.  Okay, maybe not the best attitude to have when starting an experiment.  I will try to be open-minded.  Also, I do have a feeling I might be uncomfortable in the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. I probably won't see you during your experiment, but digital hugs from me!

    ReplyDelete

Quotes 2023

  Joseph : What's your middle name? Griffin : Jon-niel. Josh : When in doubt, it's Joseph's pants. Coworker : Bandit farted, and...