Thursday, September 21, 2017

When You Feel Hopeless, Worthless, or Want Life to End

Dear [Insert Your Name],

Hi, my name is Cami.  If you are reading this, that means I care for you, at least a little bit.  You could be my best friend, my family member, or someone I have met a few times.  You could be a complete stranger--I care for you nonetheless.  I write this letter because the majority of the people I know have felt this way.  I have never had a friend or family member commit suicide; however, I have had many friends and family contemplate and attempt it.  I also have many family and friends who have felt hopeless.  This is a letter to anyone who has suicidal thoughts and/or general thoughts of hopelessness and worthlessness.

I want to let you know that you matter.  And you have impacted my life and the lives of others.  I want you to know that I believe in God.  If you don't believe in God, this isn't me trying to preach to you.  This isn't me saying that this letter isn't for you.  I may say some things in here God-related, but my personal message to you remains the same whether or not you are religious: you make a difference.

I want you to know what you have done for me.  Because of you, I have learned how to embrace my spontaneity and be carefree.  Because of you, I have learned that I am loved.  Because of you, I realized that my life is important.  Because of you, I have learned that weakness can be strength.  Because of you, I have learned that honesty can be healing, even when it is sometimes hard to hear.  I have found friends.  I have opened my heart.  I have felt love for others.  I have laughed so hard.  You really are super funny.  Because of you, I have understood that there is more to life than school and work.  Because of you, I have spared my own life.  You are the one that made my life worth living.  And you were the one that helped me feel hope.  You made me glad to see another day.  Thank you.

There will be people in your life that will make you feel unwanted.  Sometimes those people can be the ones we love the most.  And it hurts so much.  That can change.  They can change.  What you face right now won't be forever.  Giving up now could take away years and years of wonderful things.  I know that because I have lived that.  For all the times I wanted to give up, there were several better things that came my way.  I wouldn't have known if I had actually given up.

God loves you.  And He loves you infinitely more than you can imagine.  He knows infinitely more of your worth than you know.  He knows that you can be something special.  And He has the power to help you become that.

I don't know if any of this will make anyone feel any better.  Although I wrote this with many people in mind, I also wrote this letter for myself.  There are lots of days when I have to remind myself to keep going.  That I am not worthless.  I have to remind myself that I am not actually ruining everyone's lives or making everyone's lives more difficult (though it may be a few).  It's still going to be hard sometimes or a lot of times.  In the end, you really do matter.  You have something to offer this world.

And you have made my life better.

You have made me better.

Sincerely,
And with a bit of love,
Cami

P.S. If ever you need someone to talk to, I am here.  I love when people invite me to talk with them.  And more likely than not, it will help me to not feel hopeless and worthless as well.

1 comment:

Quotes 2023

  Joseph : What's your middle name? Griffin : Jon-niel. Josh : When in doubt, it's Joseph's pants. Coworker : Bandit farted, and...