Monday, October 12, 2015

The Gift of Silence

Today, I made a comment in class and shortly afterward remembered why I don't usually do that. 

"Long pause, no answer."

I think I really did hear the crickets chirping.  And, my teacher just stared at me for a little bit.  

It really reminded me of a quote that my dad is quite fond of.  It has been attributed to Mark Twain and Abraham Lincoln, but the version that I remember hearing goes something like this, 

"It is better to stay silent and appear stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Thank you.  Thank you.
Hold your applause.
(I guess for forever.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes 2023

  Joseph : What's your middle name? Griffin : Jon-niel. Josh : When in doubt, it's Joseph's pants. Coworker : Bandit farted, and...