Sunday, January 28, 2018

Pretending That I'm Not

I've been chastened a lot lately due to my inability to socialize.  Okay, I don't think that's really what people think they are chastening me about.  It's because I am a super negative person and can always find something negative about myself.  I pretend that I'm not any good (when I'm around people).  I pretend to be less.  And pretending to be less gets me into a bit of trouble; I have been told to fix a few things: my attitude, my perception, my pride, etc.

In my journey to being "fixed," I tried to figure out what the root of my social ineptness was. And because I love my abnormal psychology book and unofficially diagnosing everyone with something, I turned to that.  I sometimes pretend that I have ADHD-Inattentive, but that's because I never know where anything is.  Like the other morning when I picked up my car keys and then suddenly didn't have them when I was halfway to my car.  Which I wasn't actually halfway to my car because I had also forgotten where that was.  But that isn't even what I get chastened for.  Back to being social.

I decided that my closest diagnosis would be Avoidant Personality Disorder:

  • Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
  • Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked
  • Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed
  • Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations
  • Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy
  • Regards herself as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others
  • Is usually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing
Of which I mostly just don't meet the first symptom.  All the others perfectly describe how I feel and/or what I do.  However, there isn't much on how it is treated.  The book mentions that it has similar symptoms to Social Anxiety Disorder, which uses exposure therapy.  I guess I have to be social.

So, I want to say that I am working on things.  And I want to apologize to everyone who has been in contact with me for the last month.  I have complained a lot about my calling because it brings up all of my issues and has sent me into despair every Sunday for the last few months.  I have done really well during the weeks that I just pretended that I didn't have a calling.  But, it's all in my head.  I also apologize for apologizing because I know that makes people even more irritated with me.

Okay, now to get to the positive of this post because I try to end all my posts with something positive or at least something that I think is comical.  Because of my social ineptness, my life has been filled with social experiments.  So, I recently sent out a survey.  (You should also start expecting a lot of social experiments with my "exposure therapy.")  The actual reason I sent this survey out is because I try to find reasons why boys shouldn't want to date me and height has been a recurring theme.  Despite some of you believing that I fear boys, I actually talk to boys all the time.  My roommate says that I'm a player, but I think she's wrong.  I think she is the player.  Sorry; tangents.  From my conversations with boys, I have heard, "the shorter the better," "Five-Seven or shorter," "Nothing shorter than five-nine," "five-eleven," and on.  Mostly, there is this gap between five-seven and five-nine, which just so happens to be where I fit.  So, I give that as a reason why boys shouldn't want to date me.  I pretend that I'm not what people would like.  

I sent out a survey.  Below is a graph of the heights guys like of girls.  Let's just say I have been proven wrong.



P.S. I apologize for anyone offended by my unofficial diagnosing.  I don't have these disorders.  Or at least I never go to find out.  I mostly wanted to unofficial diagnose myself with APD because I feel the therapy that is tied to that would be very beneficial to my personality and thought processes.  I don't mean to make a mock of any diagnoses. 

1 comment:

  1. My dear Cami, I just wanted to tell you that 1. I enjoy your blogs and 2. I think you are pretty amazing. I appreciated your friendship very much at BYU and I like the person that you are. I'm sorry you feel this way about yourself because I think you are a very likeable person and should never fear rejection or not being liked. I love the Dr. Seuss quote that goes "Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter dontd mind and those that mind don't matter". You be you because you're pretty good at it :)

    ReplyDelete

Quotes 2023

  Joseph : What's your middle name? Griffin : Jon-niel. Josh : When in doubt, it's Joseph's pants. Coworker : Bandit farted, and...